With exam season in full swing, you’re probably counting down the days until you get to go home for the summer…
You’re probably dying to see your old friends, spend some time with your family, sleep in your comfortable bed and, letsbehonest, eat everything in your fridge.
Before you get all excited, you should know that it’s not exactly going to be a nice relaxing break. More like 15 weeks of being bored to the point of insanity.
To help you prepare, we’ve created a nice little list of 27 things you should know about going home from uni for the summer.
1. Your parents/a family member will make a negative comment about your appearance. Usually something about weight gain.
2. Sleeping in your old bed will seem joyous. For the first night. After that, you’ll miss your uni bed even though you despised it at the time.
3. Everyone will ask you eagerly “How are you getting on at uni?” and ask you 150 questions about your future plans.
4. You’ll start to feel like life is meaningless and pointless, as you wake up at 10.30am, watch Escape To The Country, This Morning, then Loose Women and stay in your pyjamas all day.
5. You’ll start to get anxious about the fact that you’re unemployed and have no money and nothing to do.
6. And because you technically have nothing to do, your parents will expect you to help with things around the house.
7. Your alcohol intake will decrease so much that you will feel like you’re at rehab.
8. When you were revising, you probably made a ton of plans – things to do when you finally have free time again. Yeah, you won’t do any of them.
9. You’ll miss your uni friends being just a few doors away from you.
10. Your old friends from home will get super sick of your uni stories.
11. And you will get very sick of theirs.
12. And you’ll start to question if you were ever really friends because you wanted to be friends or just because you were in the same class or went to the same school.
13. You’ll have all these great intentions to get ahead of your uni work for next semester. But you won’t.
14. You will feel like you’re trapped or in prison.
15. You will spend so much time on social media.
16. When you see pictures of your uni friends having the times of their lives, you will feel jealous and scared that they’ve forgotten about you.
17. You will binge watch at least two new TV series on Netflix.
18. You probably won’t unpack all your stuff.
19. Not going out on a week night will seem unnatural.
20. Drinking during the day probably won’t be acceptable either.
21. And alcohol back home will seem really expensive.
22. Even though you missed home cooking so damn much at uni, you’ll desperately miss being able to do your own food shopping.
23. You’ll get more lectures from your parents than you ever did from your actual lecturers.
24. Get used to “Where are you going?” “Who are you going with?” “What time will you be home”, every time you leave the house.
25. You will refer to uni as ‘home’ and your mother will be horrified and devastated.
26. There will be days when you just don’t leave the house or communicate with other humans.
27. Your sleep pattern will be messed up and you’ll have to reassure your parents that there is no reason to worry about your health, just because you slept til 3pm.
You might also like: