40 things every art student experiences…
1. When you tell people what you’re studying, you get ‘that face’ that basically tells you that your life choices up until this point have been really dumb.
2. And they’ll say, “What do you plan to do with that degree?”
3. Your parents are concerned for your future and constantly point out job opportunities and you’re just like…
4. When people ask: “Can you draw me?!”
5. Or “Can you make/draw something for my sister’s birthday?”
6. Or “Can you design my next tattoo?!”
Because obviously this whole art thing is just a silly hobby, duh.
7. You find ink/charcoal/pencil/paint in the weirdest places – even on days when you haven’t done any art work.
8. You can’t have nice things because everything you own is covered in ink/charcoal/pencil/paint/dirt.
9. And also you can’t afford nice things anyway because art supplies cost more than solid gold bars.
10. When you have an itch on your face you can never scratch it because there might be charcoal on your finger and you may give yourself a Hitler tache.
11. You’ve drawn naked people. It was funny at the start but now nudity has lost all meaning and you can shade a testicle without a second thought.
12. You always have to buy really weird objects and materials.
13. You still have scars on your legs from carrying huge GCSE and A-Level art folders.
14. You’re always carrying something awkward/heavy.
15. You have literally watched paint dry.
16. When someone looks at your unfinished work.
17. You have eaten and spent the night in the art department. You basically live there.
18. When someone says: “You’re so lucky you just get to draw all day. I have like ten proper assignments to do.”
19. You have sustained an injury, using dangerous tools and/or equipment that you knew may hurt you, but you went ahead and used them anyway. Because, art.
20. The struggle of having a great idea for a project and wanting to hell everyone, but also being scared that someone will steal it.
21. When you’re super proud of something and you get a negative critique.
22. You’ve drunk your paint water.
23. And you’ve put a paintbrush in your drink.
24. There’s always one lecturer you want to punch.
25. Your laptop is constantly overheating and on the brink of death due to all the software on it. And you can’t afford to buy a new one. Because art supplies.
26. There’s just no point in ever getting a manicure.
27. You are strangely comforted by the smell of oil paints.
28. You’re pretty sure that paint fumes have affected you in some way.
29. When you create something you’re really proud of and then post it online, you know someone’s going to plagiarise it.
30. Things that drive you to murder: when you’re using a good piece of charcoal and it breaks.
31. Nothing makes you happier than free supplies.
32. Well.. apart from maybe class trips to museums.
33. You have genuinely had to choose between food and art supplies.
That was a long, hungry week.
34. When friends or housemates touch or move your art stuff.
35. When you get the studio to yourself.
36. When the lecturer comes to take a look at everyone’s work.
37. There’s someone on your course with dreadlocks/a shaved head/pink hair/all of the above.
38. When your parents ask to see your work and you get kinda scared because it’s pornographic or else so weird that they’ll think you’re a psycho.
39. You appreciate animated films now because animation is the most frustrating thing on the planet.
40. When you run out of fingers to smudge with, so you have to go and wash your hands right when you just started to get into your work.
Are You A Student? It’s Time To Discover My Baggage…
What To Take To Uni – The Ultimate Checklist
International Student Shipping