Let’s face it, Leeds is hands down one of the best cities in the UK. If not THE best.
And for students, it’s even better. Going to uni in Leeds might actually be the best decision you’ll ever make, and you’ll probably never want to go home. Here are the reasons why…
1. It’s a student city, so you already know it’s going to be perfect and full of life.
Home to at least three leading universities and a host of other music, arts and vocational colleges – Leeds is the perfect place to be a student.
2. The nightlife is unlike any other. Hi-Fi, Mission, Space, Chili White, Faversham, Mint, Mook, Smokestack, Wire…
4. So you’re basically guaranteed to have the best night of your life every day of the week.
5. There is a Greggs around every corner. Seriously.
6. The Yorkshire dialect is amazing. Goodbye “the”!
7. There are takeaways EVERYWHERE and they are all so cheap.
8. Popina’s full English. Enough said.
9. The Dry Dock. It’s a boat, but it’s also a pub.
10. Need a break from all of the hustle and bustle? Go to Woodhouse Ridge.
It’s basically like being in the middle of nowhere.
11. The city is bursting with shops and bars, meaning jobs are super obtainable.
12. You can get to basically anywhere from Leeds.
As well as trains and buses, you’ve got an international airport right on your doorstep!
13. Rent is super cheap.
14. Drinks are too!
15. You love to hate Fruity club night. You’re guaranteed to have either the best night ever or the worst night ever. But no matter what, you’ll always go back.
16. That chance of spotting Unicycle Boy.
17. Kirkgate Market is a wonderland full of interesting things to find.
18. Leeds is full of spectacular individuals.
19. Old Bar Burgers. The best fiver you will ever spend.
20. The daily delights of Bakery 164.
21. Trinity Leeds is shopping heaven.
22. You can visit a beautiful gothic ruin – Kirkstall Abbey.
23. Leeds Zombie Film Festival is pretty damn cool.
Emmerdale actors Dominic Brunt and Mark Charnock set up the Leeds Zombie Film Festival, which is essentially what it says on the tin: a back-to-back horror movie marathon! Plus, all of the proceeds go to animal charities. What more could you want?
24. You might see Horsforth boy, Matthew Lewis, down t’local having a pint!
25. Hyde Park Picture House is a movie lovers dream. And the cosiest cinema ever!
Built by Thomas Winn & Sons, it opened on 7 November 1914 and is one of the oldest cinemas in the country. It’s also the only gas-lit cinema remaining in use in the UK. It’s open every day and screens a wide variety of films with two showings per day!
26. Old Ball in Horsforth serves the best pizza in the entire world.
27. Nothing beats a stein at the German Market at Christmas.
28. Or ice skating in Millennium Square.
29. Need a breath of fresh air? Roundhay Park is so pretty. And HUGE.
It’s also home to Tropical World!
30. You’ll never be late with a Leeds taxi driver. (But be careful when crossing the road…)
31. Otley Run. A 2-mile stretch offering 19 pubs. It’s basically a student rite of passage.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
32. And of course, Leeds has some of the best and friendliest locals you’ll ever meet.