Moving To Canada
If you’re relocating to Canada, for business or personal reasons, there are a number of things you may want to make yourself aware of before taking the big leap. With this useful guide, we hope to make your move to Canada as easy as possible.
Additionally, you can read on to find out more information about My Baggage – our convenient, affordable and reliable door to door shipping service that could help you to save time and money on shipping your luggage to Canada.
Canada has something for everyone. From majestic natural wonders, to some of the world’s coolest (literally) cities – Canada is a one-of-a-kind destination to start a new life. Not to mention the fact that it is repeatedly lauded as one of the world’s most liveable countries, with quirky cosmopolitan cities that are safe, friendly and multicultural.
|Canada Quick Facts
|Language:||English and French
|Currency:||Canadian Dollar ($)
|Timezone:||(UTC 3.5 to 8) - Summer (DST) (UTC 2.5 to 7)
There is truly an abundance of things to see and do in Canada. Few countries can boast the number of natural wonders that Canada does. With more coastline than any other country, mountain ranges, lakes, forests, arctic and even a small amount of desert; Canada has an incredibly diverse landscape that is packed full of surprises to explore.
20 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Canada:
- Canada is the second largest country in the world.
- It has more lakes than any other country in the world.
- Canada consumes more mac and cheese than any other country in the world.
- The highest tides in the world occur in the Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick.
- Montreal is the world’s second largest French speaking city after Paris.
- Canada has six time zones.
- Canadians like to finish a sentence with the word ‘eh’.
- French and English are the two official languages in Canada.
- There are more doughnut shops in Canada per capita than any other country.
- Daylight savings time does not occur in Saskatchewan.
- The capital of Canada is Ottawa, the second coldest capital in the world.
- Canada only officially became an independent country in 1982.
- In 1967, Canada built the first UFO landing pad in St Paul, Alberta.
- The Apology Act was passed in 2009 to make apologies inadmissible in court.
- Manitoba has the largest concentration of snakes in the world – around 70,000!
- Hockey and lacrosse are Canada’s national sports.
- Canada has its own version of the Loch Ness Monster, Ogopogo.
- Canadian celebrities include: Avril Lavigne, Drake, Ryan Gosling and Seth Rogen.
- You can see the Northern Lights from Northern Ontario.
- Canada produces over 70% of the world’s maple syrup.
Why Relocate To Canada?
As one of the most safe, secure and happy nations on the planet, Canada remains one of the most popular expat destinations in the world – and with plenty of good reason. With a low crime rate that is envied around the world, valued education, multiculturalism that is promoted and protected, and a tolerant and broad-minded society – it’s easy to see why such an abundance of people take the leap and relocate to Canada each and every year.
Most popular relocation destinations in Canada:
- Ottawa, Ontario
- Gatineau, Quebec
- Delta, British Columbia
- Calgary, Alberta
- Toronto, Ontario
|Top 10 Reasons To Relocate To Canada:
|1. The promoted and protected multiculturalism.
|2. A world-renowned, well funded educational system.
|3. The economic strength and job opportunities aplenty.
|4. A low crime rate that is envied around the world.
|5. A fair and accessible universal healthcare system.
|6. The tolerant and broad-minded society.
|7. The mouth-watering culinary culture (poutine is the national dish!)
|8. The simple, straight-talking Canadian sense of humour.
|9. The abundance of majestic, natural wonders.
|10. The country is repeatedly lauded as one of the most liveable countries.
Things You Need To Know Before Moving To Canada
– To be able to live and work permanently in Canada, you will need to apply and qualify for a permanent residence visa. There are many options to choose from, and it is wholly important that you choose the one that will work best for you. One of the most common ways in which Canadian visas are gained is through family sponsorship – Canadian citizens can sponsor a close relative from abroad such as a spouse, parent or dependent child. However, there are also permanent resident visas available for different criteria.
– Generally speaking, the cost of living and housing in Canada is considerably cheaper than what it is in the UK. However, cities such as Toronto and Vancouver are amongst some of the most expensive areas, with rural areas being amongst the most affordable.
– Canada boasts a strong economy and plenty of opportunities for work. If you are highly skilled in your industry, there will be opportunities to be found all across the country.
– Canada’s healthcare system is one of the fairest and most accessible in the world. Treatment is funded by government taxes and mostly free at the point of use. As an expat, depending on your visa you may be granted a health card. Though it is worth spending some time researching beforehand, in case you need to take out private insurance.
– Although they are typically a proud and wholly patriotic bunch – Canadians tend not to take themselves too seriously and enjoy a much more laid-back lifestyle. The nation is also known all around the world for its very simple, straight talking sense of humour.
10 Top Tips For Relocating To Canada:
- Start planning as far in advance as possible.
- Make checklists to stay on top of what you need to do.
- Get started on getting your immigration sorted as early as possible.
- Get up a Canadian bank account as soon as you can.
- Get your healthcare in Canada sorted early to avoid any problems.
- Keep a record and stay on top of your finances – save, save, save!
- Sell/donate goods that you don’t really need to free up space.
- Do plenty of research on your new area (social media is a great tool!)
- If you’re moving for a job – don’t be afraid to ask your employer for help.
- Compare different quotes and choose your movers wisely.
Moving Your Possessions
The thought of moving all of your worldly belongings to a new country to live is nothing short of absolutely daunting. Thankfully, there are a number of removals options out there to choose from which can help to make your relocation process run as smoothly as possible. When it comes to planning your relocation, it’s important to make yourself aware of the different options available; as some will suit your personal needs better than others.
Traditional international removals companies offer shipments by air and sea freight, helping you to uplift your life to a brand new destination. Depending on the scale of your move costs can quickly mount up, though there’s no doubt that traditional international removals services are the perfect option if you need to ship all of your worldly possessions in one go, including large, bulky items including beds, sofas or even your car to Canada.
Container shipping is generally the most affordable method of traditional international removals. You will make significant savings when you opt for sea freight over air freight. Though, you should bear in mind that it can be an exceptionally slow voyage – in fact, you could be waiting for up to two months for your belongings to arrive with you in Canada. It’s also important to be aware that although the majority of international removals companies will deliver your belongings straight to your door, some may require you to arrange transportation yourself to and from the ports both departing and on arrival.
Air freight is a much faster method of shipping your belongings, though as it is typically priced by weight and volume, it is more costly as a result. Again, some international removals companies will offer a full door to door delivery service, whereas some may require you to arrange the transportation of your items to and from the airports yourself.
My Baggage provides a convenient and affordable international removals service to Canada and to over 200 countries worldwide, across over 1,000 routes. With stress-free door to door shipping, full online tracking and dedicated, unrivalled customer support.
Why Use My Baggage?
My Baggage offers a brand new approach to transporting your belongings to Canada. With our fast, convenient, reliable and affordable door to door shipping services, My Baggage can offer a more feasible method of shipping your belongings in suitcases and boxes to your new home abroad. Relocating is an undeniably expensive process, and for many people, it could be a much more cost-effective option to sell or donate large, bulky items and ship only their most treasured and essential belongings with My Baggage.
Value For Money
My Baggage isn’t just affordable – our convenient service offers fantastic value for money. We offer a huge 30kg/66lb weight allowance per item for as little as £118 per item to Canada. As well, you have the option to send as many items as you like with us.
Convenient and Reliable Removals
At My Baggage, we understand that when it comes to your luggage and personal belongings, it’s only natural to feel apprehensive about handing all of your worldly possessions over to a removals driver. However, at My Baggage, we strive to provide an international moving service that you know you can trust.
My Baggage’s convenient door to door collection and delivery service means you don’t have to worry about arranging for the transportation of your belongings to a port, nor do you have to worry about collecting them at the other side. My Baggage collects all of your belongings straight from your doorstep and delivers them straight to your destination.
Full Online Tracking
My Baggage keeps you updated on your shipment to Canada from the moment you place your booking until the moment your shipment is delivered. You’ll be given the option to opt-in for text and email notifications to keep you fully up-to-date on where your items are and when they are due to arrive. We also provide full online tracking for every single shipment, which you can access any time in your My Baggage account.
What Can I Send?
My Baggage can transport personal effects in suitcases, boxes, or even a mixture of both. We also offer services for typically large or oversized items, such as sports equipment, and musical instruments, though they should be appropriately packaged.
Canadian Customs Information
When shipping into Canada, all goods must be cleared through customs. As such, you are legally required to complete and send a customs declaration with your shipment to Canada. If your shipment does not have a customs declaration attached, it will not make it past your local country border, and you may even have to pay return charges to get it back. When you book with My Baggage, we will automatically provide you with the appropriate customs declaration for you to complete, print, sign and attach.
Generally, My Baggage shipments clear customs in a timely manner, free from duties and taxes, as most countries offer a generous duty-free allowance for personal effects. However, as customs processes and allowances differ all around the word, and because My Baggage has no direct association with customs authority; we do advise doing your own personal research into Canadian customs regulations before booking your shipment. It is important to make yourself aware of any potential customs duties and taxes.
If shipping to; Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Manitoba, Price Edward Island, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Yukon or Nunavut – self-clearance will be required, in which the named consignee will need to visit a local Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) location. Before booking a luggage shipment to Canada, it is important to ensure a CBSA location is accessible to you.
It is extremely important to note that any goods that have not been cleared within 40 days of arrival into Canada will be assumed “abandoned” by the Canadian customs authority and the ownership of the goods will transfer to the Canadian state for disposal.
Prohibited and Non-Compensation Items
My Baggage specialises in shipping personal effects all over the world. However, for security and customs reasons, there are certain items which are considered prohibited.
As a general rule, you can be sure that the following items are prohibited:
- Animal Products
- Cash, Credit Cards, Debit Cards
- Dangerous Goods
- Hazardous Goods
- Passports or other confidential personal documentation
- Perishable Foods
As well as this, there are also a number of items that can be carried on the service, however, they may not be covered under our compensation cover and so would be sent at your own risk. If you decide to send any non-compensation items with My Baggage, please ensure they are packaged appropriately, with internal packaging for fragile items.
Find out more about My Baggage’s prohibited and non-compensation items.
What type of packaging can be used?
When shipping your belongings to Canada with My Baggage, we recommend using either suitcases or strong cardboard boxes. Or, of course, you can use a mixture of both!
We advise against using fragile or expensive suitcases, as they are not covered by our compensation cover. We also recommend that you tape over any handles, etc to protect them. With regards to boxes, it’s always best to invest in a new, sturdy, double-walled (or even triple-walled) cardboard box as they are most durable and suitable for transit.
If you are sending any fragile or delicate items, we recommend using internal packaging to protect them during transit. You can use materials such as bubble wrap or newspapers.
You can read through our complete packaging guide to find out more.
How To Book With My Baggage
My Baggage makes transporting your belongings to Canada an effortless process. Our easy to use booking system is available 24/7 and takes just a few short moments to complete. Simply start by obtaining a quote straight from our website. Once you’ve booked, we’ll send you some shipping labels to print and attach to your items. You can then sit back and relax as we take care of everything for you, from collection to delivery.
Reasons to use My Baggage:
- Convenient door to door collection and delivery of your shipment.
- Full online tracking with text and email notifications.
- International shipping to over 200 countries, across 1,000 routes worldwide.
- Fast transit times – express services available on many routes.
- Dedicated customer support via phone, email and live chat.
So, what are you waiting for?